Re: evolution 1.2 rpm for 8.0???

On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 21:21, John wrote:
> On 12 Nov 2002, Brian K. Jones wrote:
>
> > I don't get it.  What's so hard about installing red-carpet and getting
> > it from there, like the ximian site says to do if you're running RH8?
> > It's really not that hard, and it works well.  I'm writing this in 1.2
> > now, which I've had since almost immediately after the release (oh yeah,
> > I'm running RH8)
> >
> > Did I miss something?  Is there something wrong with the ximian rpmz?
> > /brian
>
> Upgrading to RHL 8.1 will be tricky.

>From what I read, Brian has simply installed a utility from the Ximian
offerings, called Red Carpet.  He has not installed their entire
desktop, which is what causes upgrade problems because it installs at
least 20 packages (rpm --force).

ftp://ftp.ximian.com/pub/redcarpet/redhat-80-i386/red-carpet-1.4.0-2.ximian.2.i386.rpm

That file, that is Red Carpet.  It has ZERO dependencies.  It does not
conflict with any existing RH8.0 packages.  It will not interfere with
upgrades to the future version of RH, (if any exists, with no
speculation as to the version number, if it even has one).

That is what Brian has recommended.  Install Red Carpet, and use it to
do whatever it was this thread started about.  Oh ya, Evolution 1.2.

I'm using the beta, and it works great.  I think maybe I'll install 1.2

-Ryan

PS - Stereotypical mumbojumbo about upgrading to a version of RH that
may never exist wasn't called for.  Do your research first.