Re: evolution 1.2 rpm for 8.0???

On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 10:04, John wrote:

> London to a brick, the _only_ rpms that will match dependencies are Ximian's,
> because Ximian can't be sure which RH RPM do match. Besides, RH has problems
> matching dependencies against Ximian, and I don't see how the revers would not
> also be true.

Well, they could find out what Red Hat has in each rpm we put out simply
by using the rpmdb-redhat package. The problem is they don't use
versions of files we include, they go bleeding-edge. Some of what they
require breaks dependencies for other packages on a Red Hat system, so
those need updating too (with more ximian packages) and the cycle
continues.

> I _can_ see how you could get false matches though, though I would need to sit
> down and match them myself to be sure it happens.

Sometimes you can get away with recompiling ximian's .src.rpm after only
updating a few libraries, but so far I haven't found evolution-1.2
source on their ftpsite. Oddly, there was what appeared to be source for
their proprietary ximian-connector on their ftp site though. I didnt'
bother to check it.

--
Chris Kloiber