Re: Lowering CPU Speed To Avoid Memory Errors

Thanks for the advice. You are right that locating the problem isn't
trivial. I've already replaced the memory sticks (with one stick of
RIM4200 + a continuity RIMM or CRIMM). I've replaced the other massive
hunk of memory, namely the video card. Still no luck -- I can't run at
2800 Mhz without crashes and segfaults. It runs okay at 2100 Mhz.

I'm not sure what other components to replace. Right now I'm in favor of
ordering a new P4T533 motherboard and tossing the old one. This
motherboard was shipped to me in a box that looked like it had been
opened before, however the components inside all looked professionally
packed and undisturbed. I can't be sure if shipping damage or rough
handling shorted out the board or something.

Asus has announced a new BIOS update, the 1005, for this board, but they
haven't made it available for download quite yet. (It's like someone
forgot to put it on the server.) I'm wondering if the update will fix
the problem.

Well I've spent this much money so far, what's another $195?

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA