Lowering CPU Speed To Avoid Memory Errors

I talked about having memory testing errors on a computer that I built
myself a few weeks ago. The processor is the Intel 2.8 Ghz on an Asus
P4T533 motherboard. You can see my earlier posts about this if you want.

Someone on this forum suggested I lower the processor speed. I did this
tonight, lowering it from 2800 MHz to 2100 Mhz.

Now, Doug Ledford's memory test script suddenly seems to be running
without errors. That is to say, it runs silently without any garbage
echoing to the screen. The system seems stable now, no X freezes in the
last couple of hours. I'm hoping that a few more memory tests will come
through clean. Then I can start using this baby.

I'm wondering how lowering the CPU speed stops the memory problems. I'm
using Samsung RIMM4200 memory which this motherboard is certified for
(by Asus). The motherboard came out before the Intel 2.8 CPU was made
public and I had to download a BIOS update to support it.

Does not being able to run Red Hat 8 on a 2800 Mhz processor mean the
CPU is too fast for the kernel? Or the memory? Does needing to lower the
CPU speed mean I have hardware problems?

Finally, if my system is now stable from a memory point of view should I
reinstall Red Hat 8 as a clean install just to avoid any possibility of
memory-corrupted files?

Thanks for your help!

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA