Oracle 8.1.7 on Red Hat Linux 8.0 (was: (no subject))

Installing Oracle 8.1.7 on Red Hat 8.0 was surprisingly easy:

1.  Create orainstall and dba groups.

2.  Create oracle user with orainstall as primary group, oracle as
    secondary group, and oracle as third group.

3.  Unpack linux81701.tar somewhere.  (This creates a Disk1
    subdirectory.)

4.  Make sure whatever directory you will install Oracle in is owned by
    user oracle, group orainstall.

5.  Become the oracle user.

6.  export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5

7.  Run the installer script under Disk1/runInstaller.

That's it.  Note that this was for a basic client installation (sqlplus,
JDBC drivers, etc.), so I didn't worry about fancy kernel parameters,
shared memory, volumes, etc.  If you're going to actually install and
run the database, this will probably be more of a hassle, especially
given the likely glibc issues.

Raul