Re: request for new mail client suggestions

On Sat, 9 Nov 2002, Dave Reed wrote:

> For years I've been using emacs to read and send mail. I use procmail
> to filter messages to various "spool" files and then each emacs RMAIL
> file knows which spool file to use for it's input. For example, I
> have:
>
> ~/Mail/IN.psyche (spool file that procmail fills)
> ~/Mail/psyche (RMAIL file that specifies ~/Mail/IN.psyche as the file
> to get messages from)
>
> So I basically load ~/Mail/psyche into emacs and press "g" and all the
> new messages from ~/Mail/IN.psyche appear in it. I can then read and
> delete messages, leaving any messages I want there for referring back
> to.
>
> So I'd now like to get with the times and use a mail client that can
> handle attachments, but I don't want to lose the use of procmail. In
> addition to filtering messages I have it doing many more things
> (autoreplying to certain messages, stripping the unsubscribe tag line
> from the bottom of mailing lists, etc.).
>
> Is there any mail client that handles attachments and will let me set
> up folders and specify the spool file for each individual folder? So
> far I've taken a quick look at sylpheed and evolution but in a few
> minutes didn't see how to make either of them do that.
>
> A plus would be if it just requires gtk so I can easily run this on
> Solaris at work w/o having to get andy gnome or qt/kde libraires
> installed on Solaris.

How about exmh? Requires tcl & mh or nmh. Works absolutely wonderfully with
procmail, and you can have mail delivered to its folders as it arrives.

You do this by piping mail into rcvstore.

One thing: rcvstore does not lock folders, so you must use procmail
locking.

As it's a wrapper for mh/nmh, you can, at a pinch, use mh/nmh from
the commandline on occasion.