Red Hat Road Tour

Anyone looking for a fun way to spend two or three hours should plan on
attending a Red Hat Road Tour 2002 session, hopefully coming to a town
near you. See http://www.redhat.com/roadtour.

These four guys (plus a really scary lookin' driver) are wandering across
the U.S. in a bright red RHRT Winnebago -- or Linnebago as someone
suggested at the SIUE session in Edwardsville, IL on Wednesday afternoon.
One look at this rig and you might wonder how five Linux geeks are going
to survive the tour. This land yacht will probably attract babes like a
pile of dirty socks.

They're passing out hats, t-shirts, and other priceless swag while they
show off RH8 and field questions from the audience. And on the side they
might just be able to fix something broken. Dave "Lobster Boy" Lawrence
wrestled with a particularly evil Gnome2 font problem on my IBM laptop for
over two hours. I call it a font problem, but when a font size shrinks to
a single pixel per character, is it still a font? It was great fun
watching over his shoulder while he chatted on-line with Havoc et al,
trying one thing after another. For a while it was looking like "Stump The
Chumps". Dave kept hacking on it stubbornly well past their scheduled
departure time. The scary driver was threatening to leave him behind.

Dave doesn't know it, but he actually managed to repair 99% of the damage.
He was typing so fast I have no idea what he did toward the end that made
Gnome2 usable again. At one time or another he was checking out everything
that Gnome2 uses or rides on:  themes, Gtk2, xft, the fonts themselves,
nautilus, etc. All I know is when I got home, Gnome2 came back up pretty
much like it used to. Some parts of the Bluecurve theme still appear to be
missing, but that's minor stuff.

Dave: Next time you come to St Louis (or I pass thru Raleigh) I'm buyin'
the beer! You earned it.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL