Re: True type fonts in mozilla./evolution

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:16:24PM -0500, Gene C. wrote:
> On Thursday 07 November 2002 11:53, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> > Well, if it is not documented clearly in any of the official Red
> > Hat Linux manuals that come with the distribution in hard copy,
> > or are available on ISO image or online, then I would consider
> > this a possible problem that needs to get fixed.  I haven't
> > looked in the documentation to find out if we've documented this
> > or not, as I assume we have.  If font configuration is not
> > covered in our manuals, or is incorrect or incomplete, then you
> > may very well have a legitimate complaint, and I urge you to file
> > a bug report in bugzilla against our documentation.  If it is
> > documented, then I urge you to read it.
>
> Actually Mike, this is not well documented in the Red Hat Reference Manual.
> In fact there is no mention of Xft ... only xfs.

I just did a search every 8.0 manual online to see what I could Xft
references I could find.  This is it (in the release notes):

"Red Hat Linux now uses Xft for fonts in GNOME and KDE, which uses
fontconfig for configuring fonts. The old style Xft config file
/etc/X11/XftConfig is no longer used or supported, having been replaced
by the new unified fontconfig method of configuration. The fontconfig
config file can be customized by editing /etc/fonts/fonts.conf file.

If you have fonts that you would like to add to your configuration, you
can copy them to ~/.fonts (or /usr/share/fonts), and run fc-cache
directory. The fonts will then be available. "

To make matters worse, the 8.0 release notes are not obvious on the web
page like all the other releases and I had a tougher time finding them
than I should have.  Here's the link:
https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/
The way to find the release notes is to click on the 8.0 link - they're
not listed in the 8.0 section like they are for 7.3, 7.2, and 7.1.

Fill in Xft in the search box and you don't get much information either.

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@ewilts.org