Re: vmware support

I just installed the latest kernel from rawhide, rebuild the
vmware modules and noticed that vmware did not crash anymore!
(libnice did not ssem to work for me though)

-Marcel

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 12:49:41AM +0100, Samuel Monsarrat wrote:
> > 1.  Late in the development cycle RH introduced a scheduler-fixes
> patch to the
> > kernel which causes vmware to panic/crash when you shutdown/poweroff
> the
> > guest.  The fix is to use a replacement for nice().  This is available
> at:
> > http://www.angelfire.com/linux/ylai/
> >
> > This is needed to run both the 3.1.1 and 3.2 versions (I don't know
> about
> > others).  If you (for some reason) cannot get libnice.tar.gz from the
> above,
> > email me and I will send you a copy (it is only 10K).  After
> installing
> > libnice.so, you use it by doing:
> >
> > LD_PRELOAD=libnice.so  vmware
> >
> > to run vmware.
>
> Thanks, got rid of the panic with libnice.so. works great.
>
> > 2. With respect to 3.2, after installing 3.2, configure the kernel
> source
> > properly:
> >
> >  a) edit Makefile so that EXTRAVERSION matches the kernel you are
> running
> >  b) copy the config file for the kernel you are running from configs
> > arch/i386/defconfig
> >  c) make mrproper
> >  d) make oldconfig
> >  e) make dep
> >
> > The to configure vmware do:
> >
> >  CC=/usr/bin/gcc  vmware-config.pl
> >

> I am a relative newbe with regards to kernel stuff, could you explain
> what this second point is about, why it should be done?
>
> Sam.
>

> --

     ======--------         Marcel J.E. Mol                MESA Consulting B.V.
    =======---------        ph. +31-(0)6-54724868          P.O. Box 112
    =======---------        marcel@mesa.nl                 2630 AC  Nootdorp
__==== www.mesa.nl ---____U_n_i_x______I_n_t_e_r_n_e_t____ The Netherlands ____
 They couldn't think of a number,           Linux user 1148  --  counter.li.org
    so they gave me a name!  -- Rupert Hine  --  www.ruperthine.com