Re: ipchains / iptables

--- Stephen Mah <steve.mah@oracle.com> wrote:
> I noticed ipchains was used for Valhalla and
> iptables is now used on 8.0. What's the difference
> between the two? Is the default "medium" iptable
> setting good enough to protect me when using a VPN
> client?

That's a pretty loaded question, but I'll take a stab
at it anyway. The main difference is that iptables is
better IMHO because it keeps track of stateful
connections, and is much more than just a filter. It
has complete NAT capabilities also. The best and least
complex explanation of how it works and how to use it
that I've seen so far was written at
http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/

I am not sure what the medium setting applies for a
ruleset, but if you are concerned about security, the
best thing to do is to write your own ruleset. It's
fairly simple and easily learnable.

=====
Kevin C. McConnell --RHCE-- <Red Hat Certified Engineer>