Re: mpeg/divx

mplayer supports dvd and divx :) out of the "box" :)

and with a little "tweaking" the gmplayer (gui) actually makes a nice front
end to the tool

Tommy

--On Sunday, October 27, 2002 00:09:05 +1000 Tony Nugent
<tony@linuxworks.com.au> wrote:

> On Sat Oct 26 2002 at 14:10, Tobias wrote:
>
>> There is no app in RH8.0 that plays mpeg/divx files?
>> What should I use?
>
> Go to freshrpms.net and download xine (and it's various libraries
> and utilities).  There is a section specifically for rh8.0, and
> another about playing dvds (don't let that put you off).  Follow
> your nose from there (you'll need the dvd css, read and nav rpms
> etc).
>
> Also while you are at it, I highly recommend that you grab alsa
> (advanced linux sound architecture) - it is much better than the
> standard oss driver.
>
> I've just put all this onto a rh8.0 box, and after a bit of tweaking
> (enabling dma on the dvd player etc), it works as smooth as silk.
>
>   (Heh, I also managed to get the development saa7134 driver working
>   with the updated kernel for a Flyview 3000 tv/radio card, nice... :)
>
> xine also does avi, mpeg and others, and it is brilliant for dvd
> movies.  mplayer also does a very good job with video files.  (And
> also xanim if you have the right codecs installed).
>
> As for divx, you might need to do some google searches (also
> freshmeat.net and sourceforce.net) to get the codecs if xine can't
> do it by default.  If I recall, I think there's a divx project for
> linux somewhere.
>
> The xine rpms from freshmeat for xine installed without a hitch, and
> so far it has handled just about everything I've thrown at it,
> highly recommended.
>
>> Regards
>> Tobias
>
> Good luck.
>
> Cheers
> Tony
>

> --

Tommy McNeely         --        Tommy.McNeely@Sun.COM
Sun Microsystems - IT Ops - Broomfield Campus Support
Phone:  x50888 / 303-464-4888  --  Fax:  720-566-3168