Re: mpeg/divx

On Sat Oct 26 2002 at 14:10, Tobias wrote:

> There is no app in RH8.0 that plays mpeg/divx files?
> What should I use?

Go to freshrpms.net and download xine (and it's various libraries
and utilities).  There is a section specifically for rh8.0, and
another about playing dvds (don't let that put you off).  Follow
your nose from there (you'll need the dvd css, read and nav rpms
etc).

Also while you are at it, I highly recommend that you grab alsa
(advanced linux sound architecture) - it is much better than the
standard oss driver.

I've just put all this onto a rh8.0 box, and after a bit of tweaking
(enabling dma on the dvd player etc), it works as smooth as silk.

  (Heh, I also managed to get the development saa7134 driver working
  with the updated kernel for a Flyview 3000 tv/radio card, nice... :)

xine also does avi, mpeg and others, and it is brilliant for dvd
movies.  mplayer also does a very good job with video files.  (And
also xanim if you have the right codecs installed).

As for divx, you might need to do some google searches (also
freshmeat.net and sourceforce.net) to get the codecs if xine can't
do it by default.  If I recall, I think there's a divx project for
linux somewhere.

The xine rpms from freshmeat for xine installed without a hitch, and
so far it has handled just about everything I've thrown at it,
highly recommended.

> Regards
> Tobias

Good luck.