Re: More problems building latest 8.0 kernel

Mike Chambers wrote:
> 1 - make mrproper
> copy over config file if need be

Red Hat supplies the configs in the configs
subdirectory , /usr/src/linux-2.4/configs
That's a good starting point.

> 2 - make whateverconfig

To redo the Red Hat kernel, 'make oldconfig'
To change a few settings, 'make menuconfig' is easiest.
It reads the current config, and makes changes to it.

> 3 - make dep
> 4 - make clean

You shoulkd edit /usr/src/linux-2.4/Makefile and change the
EXTRAVERSION line so you don't overwrite previouse modules
with later compiles.

> 5 - make bzImage
> 6 - make modules
> 7 - make modules_install
> if rebuilding same version that already exists, rename or delete
> /lib/modules/kernel-version before running next step

modules_install deletes the old modules in /lib/moduled/$KERNELRELEASE
(KERNELRELEASE=$VERSION.$PATCHLEVEL.$SUBLEVEL$EXTRAVERSION
from toplevel Makefile). Another reason to change
EXTRAVERSION for each install/modules_install you do.
> 8 - make install

This will do step 9 for you.
'make install' runs /sbin/installkernel which runs
/sbin/new-kernel-pkg

It also modifies grub and lilo config files.

> 9 - make intritd (I think this is right, for ext3 filesystems, verify this
> command before writing it down)

mkinitrd /boot/initrd.$KERNELRELEASE.img $KERNELRELEASE

> 10 - Check /boot dir and your grub.conf or lilo.conf to insure changes were
> copied/added, run /sbin/lilo if need be and reboot.

If you are using lilo to boot, it never hurts to run /sbin/lilo
an extra time to be sure :)

	-Thomas