Re: More problems building latest 8.0 kernel

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven W. Orr" <steveo@syslang.net>
To: "Psyche List" <psyche-list@redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 11:22 AM
Subject: More problems building latest 8.0 kernel

> As of 8.0, running make mrproper is now required. (It didn't used to be.)
>
> I downloaded the kernel-sources rpm for 2.4.18-17... to do a new kernel. I
> ran into problems. If I do a make mrproper first, it craps out down the
> line in the make dep. If I don't do the mrproper, I get unresolved symbols
> during the bzImage. So I downloaded the src rpm for the kernel and did an
> rpmbuild -ba to see what Red Hat is doing for a kernel build. I haven't
> had a chance to do a full analysis yet and I won't have time to get to it
> until sometime tomorrow. But I'd like to ask if someone can save me a
> couple of hours work by just simply telling me what the right set of steps
> are.

Try this..

before doing below first command (make mrproper), make sure you have a copy
of the .config file you want to use, otherwise it will get deleted if it's
in the source tree.

1 - make mrproper
copy over config file if need be
2 - make whateverconfig
3 - make dep
4 - make clean
5 - make bzImage
6 - make modules
7 - make modules_install
if rebuilding same version that already exists, rename or delete
/lib/modules/kernel-version before running next step
8 - make install
9 - make intritd (I think this is right, for ext3 filesystems, verify this
command before writing it down)
10 - Check /boot dir and your grub.conf or lilo.conf to insure changes were
copied/added, run /sbin/lilo if need be and reboot.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this, been a while since I recompiled
my own kernels.

Mike