More problems building latest 8.0 kernel

As of 8.0, running make mrproper is now required. (It didn't used to be.)

I downloaded the kernel-sources rpm for 2.4.18-17... to do a new kernel. I
ran into problems. If I do a make mrproper first, it craps out down the
line in the make dep. If I don't do the mrproper, I get unresolved symbols
during the bzImage. So I downloaded the src rpm for the kernel and did an
rpmbuild -ba to see what Red Hat is doing for a kernel build. I haven't
had a chance to do a full analysis yet and I won't have time to get to it
until sometime tomorrow. But I'd like to ask if someone can save me a
couple of hours work by just simply telling me what the right set of steps
are.

In addition to the mrproper, clean, dep, bzImage, modules and
modules_install, I'm also seeing a couple of other things happening.

make -s oldconfig_nonint
make -s include/linux/version.h

Anyone know the correct exact sequence for a kernel build these days?

TIA

--
-Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have -
-happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ