Re: dhclient and resolv.conf autogen

On 4 Nov 2002, Mark Krischer wrote:

> i'm using dhclient which autogenerates resolv.conf.  i'm also using the
> cisco vpn client which overwrites resolv.conf.
>
> every so often, it looks like something is overwriting resolv.conf with
> the one gotten as part of the lease. does anyone know how to disable
> this?  the effect is that my vpn link stops working what seems like
> every few minutes until i recopy a backup over resolv.conf.
>
> i can see resolv.conf being generated by dhclient-script, but i couldn't
> see what was calling it so regularly.

In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interfacename>

there should be a line "PEERDNS=yes".  The documentation at
/usr/share/doc/initscripts-x.x./sysconfig.txt says that this will "modify
/etc/resolv.conf [...] if using pump or dhcpcd. default to 'yes'".  As
dhclient is the replacement for pump/dhcpcd I'm going to assume that it
does the same thing and that you want to set argument to "no".

I'm guessing that you can also set this through the graphical network tool
that RH provides "neat", which is accessible by
Start->System-Settings->Network, or "/usr/bin/neat" or
"redhat-config-network", but I haven't done it that way.

 HTH,
Oisin Feeley