Re: cdrecord obsolete

[Warning!  Rant to follow!]

On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 19:12, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> Regardless, it is named an 'alpha' release, and as maintainer of
> the package in Red Hat Linux, it wont go into Red Hat Linux until
> it is an official stable release.  If the author claims it to be
> more stable and reliable than 1.10, then he should release it as
> 1.12 or whatever and continue developing new code in a new
> development tree.

	This is one of the real difficulties on the Software Libre world.
Developers (individual and in groups) have confused the whole 'alpha',
'beta', 'gama' thing and have completely made useless version
numbering.  Mike points to one of the issues.  If a product is better
and more stable than a previous version there's absolutely no reason it
should not be a release version.  Another example is gaim.  It's on
version 0.59.x yet it's likely the most usable and stable IM client
out.  Why it isn't version 1 is beyond me.  Don't get me wrong, I happen
to love gaim and think it is great.  But why is it still 0.anything?

	I have a lot more I can say on this but I'm not feeling so well at the
moment.  Maybe I'll post a complete rant somewhere sometime...

--
Your mouse has moved.
Windows(R) must be restarted for the change to take effect.