Re: cdrecord obsolete

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Thomas Dodd wrote:

>>>I have a usb cdrw .. it won't work under cdrecord-1.10, but works fine
>
>Which CDRW? I have a USB CDRW and 1.10 works fine.
>
>>>under any cdrecord-1.11 version.  Is there a more up to date version
>>>that's compatible with psyche available?
>> cdrecord 1.11 is alpha code, and not a stable official release.
>
>True, but 1.11a38 is probably more stable/less buggy than 1.10.

I do not necessarily disagree with you there either.

>It's more like a development branch, and this far in, it's
>fairly stable. I wouldn't try prior to a15 or a20, but now
>it's more like the late 2.3 kernels, or the stable branch
>of a CVS repository like gcc, XFree, or mozilla.

Again, I mostly agree with you.  However, Red Hat seems to get
bashed to hell on slashdot and other forums by various morons
when alpha/beta code gets included in the distribution, or people
"believe" the code to be developmental.  As such cdrtools 1.11
alpha will go into Red Hat Linux when hell freezes over, or when
it is released as a stable official release by the author himself
(and under an acceptable OSI endorsed license).

>Also, amost no changes will be backported to 1.10. Any bug
>reporter are asked to try the latest alpha. I think alpha is a
>poor name for the code. It much beter than alpha usually
>implies.

Regardless, it is named an 'alpha' release, and as maintainer of
the package in Red Hat Linux, it wont go into Red Hat Linux until
it is an official stable release.  If the author claims it to be
more stable and reliable than 1.10, then he should release it as
1.12 or whatever and continue developing new code in a new
development tree.

It is unfortunate that this is the way it is, but it is this way
because it has to be this way.  If I were to include 1.11aX and
then someone complain that it doesn't work for them, and then
bitch on slashdot that Red Hat shipped a broken "alpha" version
of cdrtools, I would not be very happy now would I?  So, it wont
happen.

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer