Re: Too much antialiasing

On 31 Oct 2002 11:31:59 -0600
Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@math.uh.edu> wrote:

> KL> I'm experiencing the same problems. I've looked at Bugzilla #76057
> KL> which supposedly addresses this issue, but haven't tried any of
> KL> them as of yet.
>
> 76057 doesn't seem to apply to what I'm seeing; the complaint there
> seems to be that non-AA fonts are ugly.  I'm not having a problem with
> the quality of the outline generation; that looks fine (and even
> better once the bytecode interpreter is turned on and the webfonts are
> in place).
>
> Instead I'm having problems with freetype not snapping vertical
> elements to the pixel grid.  For example, a lowercase ell (which is
> just a vertical line of pixels in the font I'm using) is not snapped
> to either a one or two pixel width; instead it has a non-integer width
> which is approximated by drawing one black line and one grey line next
> to it.  A sample is at
> http://www.math.uh.edu/~tibbs/rh8-poor-fonts.gif

Absolutely, I hate antialiased fonts, they give me a headache and eyestrain to
the max. One of the main reasons I can surf and work in linux 10 times longer
than I ever could in windows. I only recently realized it was the antialiasing
of fonts that was causing it. Though using and enabling tt fonts has
beautified my system immensly :)

--
/dTd
Perl 6 will give you the big knob. - Larry Wall