strange display problems (in textmode!)

Hi all,

After (fresh-)installing RH Psyche on my P4 I experienced some
problems. I installed RedHat in textmode on a ide disk (Custom
Install). After that I compiled a new kernel (with scsi, raid
and reiserfs).

Here appeared problem no.1:
The display of the "make menuconfig" command for kernel configuration
is totally messed up: the colors are wrong, the lines are broken
etc... (note: textbased menus of other applications as "setup" are
still fine)

I configured the kernel as usual, compiled, liloed and rebooted. Everything
went fine. I created a software raid on my two scsi disks, formatted
it with reiserfs and copied the system with "cd /; find -xdev | cpio
-pm /newroot". After that, I installed lilo on the two disks.

After rebooting problem no.3 appeared:
After booting the kernel (starting init) there is no output of the
startscripts. For 10-20 seconds, there is no output. After some
waiting, the normal login shell apprears. All servies have been
started, as usual. The strange thing is that the startscripts (or
init) simply produce no output (the output of the the install on
the ide disk was working).

I logged into my other linux machine (rh 7.3) with ssh. After doing a
"ls -l" on my homedir, there it was, problem no.3:
Every colored filename was written in uppercase, cyrillic characters!
This happed serveral times, on remote machines and on the local one
(using "mc", midnight commander).

I'm wondering about the strange behavior of rh 8. The hardware is
fine, before installing psyche I installed two test installations
(debian woody and rh 7.3): I had no problems with them.

Does anyone know how this can happen?

Regards
Arne Brutschy