Re: winbind

On Wed Oct 30 2002 at 15:50, "Basil L. Copeland Jr." wrote:

> > Do you have an entry in /etc/pam.d/login like this:
> >
> > session    optional     /lib/security/pam_mkhomedir.so

The full pathname is not necessary, pam using /lib/security by
default.

> http://www.isomedia.com/homes/kpuckett/Windows_Domain_Logins_from_RH7.3.htm
>
> I had done much of what is described in this document, but there were a
> couple of new twists.  First, the following was the recommended system-auth
> file:
>
> auth        sufficient    pam_winbind.so  <---NOTE
> auth        required      /lib/security/pam_env.so
> auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
> use_first_pass
> auth        required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so
>
> account     sufficient    pam_winbind.so  <---NOTE
> account     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so
>
> password    required      /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3 type=
> password    sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5
> shadow
> password    required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so
>
> session     required      pam_mkhomedir.so umask=0022 <---NOTE
> session     required      /lib/security/pam_limits.so
> session     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so
>
> -----------------
>
> I was puzzled by the lack of a full path on the three added lines, and am
> not sure if that is significant.  But I made these changes exactly as
> written, and lo and behold, it worked.

Not suprised :)

> There was one other change I made on the basis of this document:
>
> ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/winbind /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S92winbind
>
> but I don't think that had anything to do with why it now works.

The daemon should be running.

> Finally, FWIW, I STILL have the following login file:
>
> #%PAM-1.0
> auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
> auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
> account    sufficient   /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
> account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> password   required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> session    required     /lib/security/pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel
> umask=0022
> session    optional     /lib/security/pam_console.so
>
> I assume that system-auth overrides login.

Not exactly, pam login will use the settings in system-auth.

> Can I get rid of the
> pam_winbind.so and pam_mkhomedir.so from this file now?

Yes.

BTW, do you have winbind as a preferred option in your
/etc/nsswitch.conf file for passwd and group?  IIRC, that's another
piece of the puzzle (it has been a while since I read the howto, but
that's the definitive document... I set up winbind on a box I no
longer administer a while ago, so the details have become a little
hazy.  But it wasn't difficult to enable it).

> -Basil

Cheers
Tony