Re: winbind

> Do you have an entry in /etc/pam.d/login like this:
>
> session    optional     /lib/security/pam_mkhomedir.so
>
> You may need to rebuild it to create directories in /home/DOMAIN/user.
> I had to rebuild it to allow selection of creating a local /home
> directory or a network mounted directory.  It shouldn't be too hard.

What I had (still do, but you'll catch the drift of the past tense in a
moment) was:

session    required     /lib/security/pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel
umask=0022

However, since posting, I've continued to search the internet for clues on
how to proceed, and came across this useful link:

http://www.isomedia.com/homes/kpuckett/Windows_Domain_Logins_from_RH7.3.htm

I had done much of what is described in this document, but there were a
couple of new twists.  First, the following was the recommended system-auth
file:

auth        sufficient    pam_winbind.so  <---NOTE
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
use_first_pass
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so

account     sufficient    pam_winbind.so  <---NOTE
account     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so

password    required      /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3 type=
password    sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5
shadow
password    required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so

session     required      pam_mkhomedir.so umask=0022 <---NOTE
session     required      /lib/security/pam_limits.so
session     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so

-----------------

I was puzzled by the lack of a full path on the three added lines, and am
not sure if that is significant.  But I made these changes exactly as
written, and lo and behold, it worked.

There was one other change I made on the basis of this document:

ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/winbind /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S92winbind

but I don't think that had anything to do with why it now works.

Finally, FWIW, I STILL have the following login file:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account    sufficient   /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     /lib/security/pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel
umask=0022
session    optional     /lib/security/pam_console.so

I assume that system-auth overrides login.  Can I get rid of the
pam_winbind.so and pam_mkhomedir.so from this file now?

-Basil