Re: GUI Complaints

On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 09:34, Guy Fraser wrote:
> Hi
>
> I like the way the new GUI looks, but looks are not everything.
>
> The task list sucks! You get one icon per application, so no dialog boxes show
> up, nor do any secondary windows.

Right-click on the taskbar (aka window list) "gripper" bar, and select
preferences. If "Always group windows" is selected, try one of the other
settings to see if they give you the desired behavior.

> The mouse scope sucks! You can't set the amount of time to raise a window so
> if you have the scope set to raise windows automaticly the dialog boxes get
> lowered immediatly because the dialog box or secondary windows do not pop up
> under the mouse pointer.

There's no gui method to set it, but you can use gconf-editor to change
the setting: /apps/metacity/general/auto_raise_delay

> The file manager has weird behavior.
> 1) When in a directory with images the thumbnails show up, but when you double
> click the image {bmp,ppm} the stupid thing says it has no image viewer or
> somthing like that, but "eog" is in the right click menu, and does display the
> image. If you can render a thumbnail, one would hope you could display the image.
>

> 2) The mime/application support sucks! You can not add applications or change
> the defaults. It would be nice to be able to set the default action, viewer
> and editor, or make alternate selections to what the defaults are.

> 3) It would be nice to be able to select gqview {if installed} as an alternate
> viewer/explorer.
>

> 4) When moving or copying graphics it would be nice to see thumnails of the
> conflicting files, so it is easier to determine if they should be replaced or
> skiped.
>

> The *sad thing* about these issues is that they were all, except the 4th issue
> about the file manager but it is in gqview, available before.

Yeah the interface(s) for setting mime types/preferred apps is pretty
clumsy and confusing, and doesn't seem to generate desired results.

> Is the window manager still sawfish?

It's now metacity. Sawfish is available on the CDs, but the Gnome2
version is not stable/complete.

> Is there a way I can get the old behaviors back without having to wait for
> these to be addressed.

For the window manager issue, if using gconf-editor isn't your thing,
then you can try running sawfish (directions for switching can be found
in the psyche-list archives). For the file manager issues, you could try
running KDE, I suppose, and see if Konqueror handles these issues more
gracefully.

Michael Knepher <limbo@bluethingy.com>