Re: GUI Complaints

On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 22:25, Michael Knepher wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 09:34, Guy Fraser wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I like the way the new GUI looks, but looks are not everything.
> >
> > The task list sucks! You get one icon per application, so no dialog boxes show
> > up, nor do any secondary windows.
> >

> Right-click on the taskbar (aka window list) "gripper" bar, and select
> preferences. If "Always group windows" is selected, try one of the other
> settings to see if they give you the desired behavior.
>
> > The mouse scope sucks! You can't set the amount of time to raise a window so
> > if you have the scope set to raise windows automaticly the dialog boxes get
> > lowered immediatly because the dialog box or secondary windows do not pop up
> > under the mouse pointer.
> >
> There's no gui method to set it, but you can use gconf-editor to change
> the setting: /apps/metacity/general/auto_raise_delay

On a stock g2 there is gconf editor in system tools (called
configuration editor in menus) (prob in either system tools or extras,
system tools)
apps, metacity

> > The file manager has weird behavior.
> > 1) When in a directory with images the thumbnails show up, but when you double
> > click the image {bmp,ppm} the stupid thing says it has no image viewer or
> > somthing like that, but "eog" is in the right click menu, and does display the
> > image. If you can render a thumbnail, one would hope you could display the image.

do open with, then choose other application and see what choieces you
have in the dialog. If eog is there select it then click modify and
adjust to taste

> > 2) The mime/application support sucks! You can not add applications or change
> > the defaults. It would be nice to be able to set the default action, viewer
> > and editor, or make alternate selections to what the defaults are.

see above

> > 3) It would be nice to be able to select gqview {if installed} as an alternate
> > viewer/explorer.

if gqview is registered you should be able to do the above

> > 4) When moving or copying graphics it would be nice to see thumnails of the
> > conflicting files, so it is easier to determine if they should be replaced or
> > skiped.
> >

> > The *sad thing* about these issues is that they were all, except the 4th issue
> > about the file manager but it is in gqview, available before.
>
> Yeah the interface(s) for setting mime types/preferred apps is pretty
> clumsy and confusing, and doesn't seem to generate desired results.
>
> > Is the window manager still sawfish?
> >

> It's now metacity. Sawfish is available on the CDs, but the Gnome2
> version is not stable/complete.
>
> > Is there a way I can get the old behaviors back without having to wait for
> > these to be addressed.
> >

> For the window manager issue, if using gconf-editor isn't your thing,
> then you can try running sawfish (directions for switching can be found
> in the psyche-list archives). For the file manager issues, you could try
> running KDE, I suppose, and see if Konqueror handles these issues more
> gracefully.
>
> > Guy
> >

> > --
> --