Evolution Problem

I am having a problem with evolution. For incoming mail I need to make a
POP3 connection to mail.carbinworld.com, and for outgoing I need to connect
to smtp.myisp.com. Outgoing mail works fine but I cannot get incoming
working. I have double & triple-checked my settings, same as on my windows
boxes, they connect fine, not my Red Hat box though. Ethereal shows
ERR-Syntax error ... any ideas (ps. my box is on a LAN behind a Smoothwall
firewall)

steve