Re: an HOWTO for CPU/compiler optimizations?

> Hello,
>
> I've read with great interest the discussion about optimized
> compilations for this or that CPU inside the "i386 kernel not
> included" thread. We are still discussing the consequences for the RULE
> project in our mailing list, but in the meantime I'd like to ask to
> those who contributed to that discussion (Mike Harris and others) if
> they could find some time to take that whole thread, reformat it as
> readable text without quotes, repetitions, etc..., and put it online
> somewhere as an HOWTO or something. While I candidly admit that I
> personally understood less than half of what you real programmers
> said, I have the impression that it can be very useful for a lot of
> people, even non RH users, isn't it?
>
> Of course, if all that is already written as a single text, just
> provide the URL.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> 	Marco Fioretti
>
> Red Hat for low memory: www.rule-project.org/en/

What happened to low CPU?

Anyway - the bit I liked most was exactly about recompiling the
kernel for different CPUs. I have quite a few old Pentium servers
all running 386 kernels and RH 7.X
If I ever had lots of spare time (never :-) I'd upgrade everything
to 8.0 then recompile each kernel to match the actual CPU on the
machine.
Hmmm - maybe some time around 9.0 I'll have the spare time :-)
Then I guess 586 will be of the list :-) :-) :-)

But the fact that it often takes me 20 minutes to write a single
email (yeah - I still don't know why I can never write one in a few
minutes - something always slows me down ...)
I'll not offer to do it :-(

I'm still not sure where Mike gets the time to write such long emails,
maybe he's just so technically adept that he doesn't need to check what
he says (no, I really mean that as a complement)
I can't do that - I usually find myself rereading my email over and
over and fixing it each time :-P

(this one took 10 minutes to write - interruptions included)

--
-Cheers
-Andrew

MS ... if only he hadn't been hang gliding!