Re: smtp authentication with pacbell

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 17:54, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Ed Wilts <ewilts@ewilts.org> writes:
> [...]
> >
> > Did you remember to compile the file before you restarted sendmail?  The
> > m4 instructions are at the top of the file.
>
> It would be nice if it were something that lame.  But no I didn't
> forget.  I've compiled several here in the last little while trying
> different things.
>
> I noticed some of the newsgroups are rife with complaints about this
> very thing as regards pacbell.  Apparently there setup is somehow
> harder to deal with.
>
> Ditto about there adsl.  Its done over pppoe.  Another unecessary
> layer of confusion.
>
> Unfortuneately I haven't spotted a nice summary of how to do it.
> Although one energetic poster on comp.mail.sendmail did post a full
> howto from 2000 using version 10-beta.  It involved building everthing
> from source, inculding sasl and looked hugely complicted.
>
> One possible problem is that the smart host name is different than
> the rhs of email addresses:
>
> smtp host: smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
> email hgp@sbcglobal.net
>
> Also I noticed in the maillog reports, the smtp host is listed as
> nomail.yahoo.com, which is different than either.:
>
>   Oct 24 17:51:07 cv sendmail[4740]: g9P0p6T8004738:
>   to=<hgp@sbcglobal.net>, ctladdr=<reader@cv.local.lan> (500/500),
>   delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=30319,
>   relay=nomail.yahoo.com. [216.145.48.35], dsn=5.1.2, stat=User
>   unknown
-----
Actually, it's even more lame than not generating a new sendmail.cf file
with m4 (which by the way, has changed in 8.0 - sendmail.cf by default
is in /etc/mail)

The authentication mechanisms that you were asking about were in your
sendmail.mc all along. Then you are wondering what is wrong with your
ability to send mail but you don't even bother checking dns before
posting...

# nslookup sbcglobal.com
Note:  nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead.  Run nslookup with
the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

** server can't find sbcglobal.com: NXDOMAIN

sbcglobal.com doesn't exist - you can't send mail there.

yahoo is telling you that - still have yet to see what any of this has
to do with pacbell.

Craig