Re: Direct TV Satellite connections

Thom Paine wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 11:23, dsavage@peaknet.net wrote:

> > The biggest problem with DirectWay is the speed of light.

> I thought it was a microwave signal based? And it was spread out such
> as not to fry people, and the dish collected enough signal to make a
> data stream.

You are right, it's microwaves. Microwaves are electromagnetic waves,
just like visible light, and thus have the same speed as light. The
electromagnetic waves begin with low frequencies as radio waves, and
with increasing frequency you get microwaves, infrared, visible light,
ultraviolet, Röntgen (x-ray) and gamma rays. All these waves *are*
light, just with different frequency. Just like low, high and ultrasonic
sound.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/