Re: Direct TV Satellite connections

Thom Paine wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 11:23, dsavage@peaknet.net wrote:
>>The biggest problem with DirectWay is the speed of light. The minimum one-way
>>distance to a geosynchronous satellite is still 23,500 miles, which is about 1/8
>>light-second. That means the absolute minimum time required for a full duplex
>>character echo from the distant end is at least 1/2 second (up & down outbound
>>followed by up & down return). To that time you must add in the arctangent
>>multipliers for each of the two look angles, and the absolute delays along any
>>terrestrial path segments.
 >
> I thought it was a microwave signal based? And it was spread out such as
> not to fry people, and the dish collected enough signal to make a data
> stream.

It is, by the satalite is a point source. It spreads out to cove the
area (footprint) but it's still an angle unless you're
under it. That's doubt full since most orbit near the equator, and
just aim the signal to conus.

> DWay would have been better off making it talk ethernet so you can just
> plug in a hunk of cat5 and away you go. This USB nonsense is starting to
> get on my nerves. It seems like everything is migrating to it and it's
> almost more trouble than it's worth. But that's just me and my two
> copper pennies.

More "consumers" have a PC with USB ports than an ethernet port.
Inside, it's probably still just a ethernet over USB setup.
Some of the boxes you can open and remover the USB dongle,
and get an ethernet jack.

	-Thomas