Re: Direct TV Satellite connections

On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 08:51, Mike Chambers wrote:
> Has anyone used this with linux yet?  Friend has Direct TV and is getting
> the internet connection associated with it.  I will be the one helping to
> get it setup for linux if possible and not sure if it's supported, or how it
> connects to it yet until he tells me.
>
> Anyone had luck with this yet or heard about it?

If it is similar to the one Bell offers here in Canada, you get a card
that plugs into the computer. There is special software that brings the
card online and reconfigures your browsing. You still need a phone line
and a dial-up isp. Any outbound packets go through the dialup to the sat
station which then directs incoming information down the DTV stream. I'm
not sure if two way is supported as of yet. If you have DTV at home, you
can check channel 227 I think. They have the DWAY info channel on there.
That might answer some preliminary questions. www.directv.com may also
have some info on it.

As a side note, last year my buddy was demoing the expressvu system next
door to me. It was a really terrible setup and no matter how much you
tried it wouldn't work very well. Bell sent a couple of techs out to
check it over and they finally pulled it. But then a year in the
computer and satellite industry is like 10 in anything else.

YMMV.

--
-=/>Thom
Red Hat Linux release 8.0 (Psyche) running Linux Kernel 2.4.18-17.8.0