Re: RH 8.0 upgrade install hang after disc2 (DVD/CDROM kernel problem??)

--- M A Young <m.a.young@durham.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Mike Blatchley wrote:
>
> > I was upgrading my IBM Thinkpad A21p system from
> 7.2
> > to 8.0, and after I inserted disc3, the machine
> failed
> > to mount it and refused to eject it....eventually
> had
> > to reboot machine.
>
> The most obvious cause would be a bad CD image. Did
> you check your CDs
> by booting with the "linux mediacheck" option?

I did check the CDs prior to install.  I am now
suspecting a possible problem with the install kernel.
 During my attempted restarts of the upgrade, I have
checked the CD's again, and after the installer ejects
a disc, sometimes the next disc is "not seen" when I
load it; not always the same disc.  This is the same
thing that happened with my failed install.  IDE I/O
errors were reported on one of the other consoles.  I
have not previously had CDROM/DVD problems, so I
suspect something in the new kernel.

> > I can attempt to restart upgrade, but install
> scripts
> > hang at the "Finding packages to upgrade...".  No
> hard
> > drive activity, no CDROM activity.
>
> If the problem is the rpm database, you could try
> rebuilding it. Take a
> safety copy of the files in
> /mnt/sysimage/var/lib/rpm, and run
> rpm --rebuilddb --root /mnt/sysimage/

I can at least boot the partially upgraded machine in
single user mode, so I will try the database rebuild.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Mike
mblatch@yahoo.com