Re: RH 8.0 upgrade install hang after disc2--recovery??

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Mike Blatchley wrote:

> I was upgrading my IBM Thinkpad A21p system from 7.2
> to 8.0, and after I inserted disc3, the machine failed
> to mount it and refused to eject it....eventually had
> to reboot machine.

The most obvious cause would be a bad CD image. Did you check your CDs
by booting with the "linux mediacheck" option?

> I can attempt to restart upgrade, but install scripts
> hang at the "Finding packages to upgrade...".  No hard
> drive activity, no CDROM activity.  Any clues on what
> to try next....other than rebuild machine from
> scratch.

To see what is happening look at the various virtual consoles (see
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/install-guide/ch-guimode.html#S2-GUIMODE-VIRTUAL-CONSOLES
for details). If it is really not doing anything at the Finding packages
stage (and this can take some time), my guess would be that there are
problems with the rpm database. It would probably worth booting the CD
into rescue mode "linux rescue", to work out what the problem is.

If the problem is the rpm database, you could try rebuilding it. Take a
safety copy of the files in /mnt/sysimage/var/lib/rpm, and run
rpm --rebuilddb --root /mnt/sysimage/
If there are any __db files in this directory, you could delete them, and
retry the install before trying the rebuild.

	Michael Young