Re: Add a new custom service to RH8

Jason wrote:

> Hmm, I just slid up to my coworkers RH8 system and think I figured it
> out. I just tried copying irda to irda2 in /etc/init.d and it did not
> show up in the list of services.  But I then linked it in
> /etc/rc.d/rc3.d as S91irda2 and it showed up fine.  Linking it as
> just irda2 didnt work.  I imagine from what I've seen you have to
> link it as [S/K]XXyyyyyy in order for the services program to 'see'
> it.

That's because such a filename is needed to start/stop that service at
bootup or runlevel change. S means start it if entering the runlevel,
K means stop (kill) it when leaving the runlevel. The two-digit number
determines the execution order, 00 is first, 99 is last. This is
important if a service depends on another (i. e. bring up the network
interface before starting the network servers). Any filename that does
not comply to this naming scheme will be ignored by init (man init for
more information), and thus service does the right thing by ignoring it
as well.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/