RE: Psyche hangs with rack-mount Dell 2650 in multiprocessor mode ?- partial solution

On Fri, 2002-10-18 at 18:48, David.Menges@UCHSC.edu wrote:
> Red Hat Support had us turn off processes until it stayed up, which was
> everything - it froze with just eth0 up and sshd.  Then they had us add
> "noapic" to the SMP kernel's GRUB config, and now it works.  They didn't
> elaborate, and we haven't found much doc, but it sounds like now the first
> CPU handles all interrupts.

Thanks for the information.  I plan to use Dell rack mount servers
within the next six months.

I've had problems with APIC code even on single processor systems as far
back as 2.4.10, where it would prevent a complete power off.  It seems
that either there are still serious problems with the APIC code or
something is not right with the hardware implementation.

--
Best Regards,
Keith