Re: Add a new custom service to RH8

Easiest way is to take a look at the manual entry for "chkconfig".  This
utility requires you to add a couple of special comment lines in the
script you copy to /etc/init.d,  and in return it will make all of the
funky links in the rcN.d directories for you.  It also gives you a nice
way to activate and deactivate the service on a given machine (i.e.,
make a service available; you still turn it on and off by using the
'service' utility).

I've done a couple of custom services this way; it's very quick, and a
lot less error-prone.

Good luck with it,
Rob Thorne

--