Re: Segfaults and Memory Test Failures

I've spent much of this evening looking into lm_sensors. The 2.6.3
version that comes with 8.0 is fairly old (if you call March 2002 old, I
guess) and doesn't seem to detect anything on my Asus P4T533 motherboard
(which was not with us in March.) I think I need to check the installed
SMBus ASIC (I know it has one) and update to a newer lm_sensors version
such as 2.6.5 in case I have the Asus ASB100 Bach.

I looked at the lm_sensors web site and notice that upcoming version
2.6.6 will have support for Rambus RIMMs. So here is a case of software
catching up with my hardware.

I still do not know what is causing the memory test failures. I flunked
the memory test script by Doug Ledford, too, in addition to memtest86.
I'll continue work on updating lm_sensors and see what the temp readings
are. I don't recall anything in my BIOS that displays temperatures
(maybe I should look again). The motherboard came with a CD that has a
Microsoft Windows-based program which does check on temperatures and
voltages. However this is a 100% Linux machine so I can't run the program.

I'd like to thank you for pointing me at lm_sensors. A very interesting
program.

And I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions. I have to expect
that I made mistakes somewhere when I built this machine...all part of
the learning process. My next machine (if I have the courage to build
it!) will be the better for this experience.

Bob