From: Tom Georgoulias [mailto:tom.georgoulias@motorola.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 11:58 AM
To: psyche-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: Segfaults and Memory Test Failures

Robert L. Cochran wrote:
> I'll check all these things, thank you. How do I know if the RAM is
> overheating in the case, though? Is there a way of recognizing that? The
> Kingston web site mentioned it too, but not how to identify when
> overheating is happening.

Here are a few ideas to help check it, although all of them are indirect
measurements/approaches.  I don't know of anything to directly measure
DIMM temperature.

Do you have a secondary fan installed on the case?  Is it working well?
  Are cables to the various peripherals obstructing airflow?  Buying a
third fan to put at the front of the case is a good way to increase
airflow, assuming you have a slot and the tolerance for the extra noise.

Have you tried setting up lm_sensors and monitoring your motherboard
health stats that way?

Another way is to run the system for a while until it fails, then reboot
and enter the bios to check the system voltage/temperature stats to make
sure they are within spec.

Try running with the case open.  You can even put your hand in there and
get a feeling for the ambient temperature around the DIMMs.

Tom