Re: Unable to sync my Handspring Visor

Gerry Kirk wrote:
 > I used the update you mentioned. The wizard still cannot
 > > connect to my handheld.

I finally got mine to work but I'm not sure exactly what I
did (!) -- IIRC, it involved the sacrifice of a virgin or two.

I (as root) did have to create the links in /dev for the pilot

	cd /dev
	ln -s /dev/ttyUSB1 pilot
	ln -s /dev/ttyUSB1 palm

and load the modules

	/sbin/modprobe visor
	/sbin/modprobe usb-uhci

You may also, depending upon your USB port need

	/sbin/modprobe usb-ohci

Next I had to use the pilot tool (on the gnome menu) to set
up the connection between the computer and the visor. Or try

	gpilotd-control-applet --cap-id=1

to run the setup wizard.

Now I could run jpilot, which I had trouble getting to
install because of dependencies, and which involved
installing the packages

	readline-devel-4.2a-4
and
	compat-libs-6.2-3

I was never able to get the thing to run as a user, but had
to run it as root.

There's more info at

	http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/PalmOS-HOWTO/
	http://www.linuxpda.com/visor/howto/current/t1.html

althou not all of it needs to be followed, e.g, the kernel
does not need a recompile.

BFD