Re: stickers in box?

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 19:35:19 +1000 (EST), Andrew Smith wrote:

> > Ever heard of "green shoe Linux" 8.0?
> >
> >  http://www.liniso.de/shop.php?artikel=74#74
> >
> > That's what can happen to you when they get active in trademark
> > infringement matters. You might want to design "green shoe" stickers
> > early enough. ;)
>
> I certainly hope that web page is not really necessary or is a joke!
> If it was true it would go a long way in my opinion to suggest that
> a certain company is, well, very low on the rungs of any ladder.
> Though I'm sure that means nothing to anyone else :-)

I think it is necessary. The German comment below the offer explains
that trademark issues are the reason for the renaming. They are
selling CDs of the download version of Red Hat Linux, which is not
the same Red Hat Linux that is sold by Red Hat and official
resellers. Hence to avoid trademark infringement, they cannot sell
their CDs as "Red Hat Linux" unless they are authorized. Makes sense
to me. When you download Red Hat Linux yourself, it is Red Hat
Linux, well, the GPL'ed part. Selling it makes the difference.

Duplicating and modifying copyrighted stickers doesn't sound too
good either, even when it's for private use only.