Re: Where is my terminal text editor?

Alan Becker wrote:

> Also, if you
> want to know an editor that is on every linux system

More like, every Unix like system. Solaris, SunOS, HP-UX, AIX,
Irix, *BSD, and all linux distros have vi.

The same goes for learning sh (not bash, but real Bourne SH).

> without exception, vi (AKA vim) is the one.  It doesn't
> take much time to learn a few basic commands (less than
> 20) and you could be functional with a tool that will
> handle practically any editing task.

Just be careful not to get used to the X version of vim.

Also, vim supports a lot of extras, that othe unix versions
of vi do have. One that gets me a lot is, vim allows you
to move around in edit mode using the cursor keys, but
real vi doesn't. You must enter command mode to move.

Basic commands to know:

<ESC> switch to command mode
:q  quit
:q! quit without saving
:w  write file
j  move cusor down
k  move cusor up
h  move cusor left
l  move cusor right

i  insert (before cursor)
I  insert at beginning of line
A  append at end of line
x  delete char under cursor
dd delete line

u  undo last edit

Those 13 will do most work. Other make life easier, like

    10dd = delete 10 lines

handy shortcuts
:wq or :ZZ save and exit
.  repeat last command