Re: Win2000 Smb shares Mounten

On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 11:05, Johan Hendriks wrote:
> I want to mount an smb share from our Win200 Server at the office
>
> i added this to my /etc/fstab
>
> //server/username   /mnt/server   smbfs
> noauto,username=johan,password=12345,rw 0 0
>
> I can mount the thing (only as root) but could not write to it
>
> How can i mount the share and write to it as a NORMAL user???
>
> If i mount it as a normal user i got the message only root can mount.

Add some more options:
noauto,user,rw,uid=johan,gid=johan,username=johan,password=12345

This is not secure however, as any linux user would be able to mount it.
Better to drop the password from the options and it should prompt you
for it when you try to mount it. You might also change the permissions
on /mnt/server such that only the user johan and/or group johan can
access it.

Chris Kloiber, RHCE                                  Red Hat,Inc.
Hardware Certification            aka                1801 Varsity Dr.
Enterprise Support             "WireHead"            Raleigh, NC 27606