Re: general system benchmark/perf test?

The hardware compatibility scripts I use are not designed to do this,
but it would be fairly easy for you to cause them to time the tests
since it is all written in bash.

http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/?pagename=files

On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 13:20, Randall J. Parr wrote:
> Is there a general system performance / benchmark test available that
> will run on RH8?
>
> I ask because I have installed RH8 on several systems now.
> Yesterday I installed on a "faster" system but which seems to be
> performing much more slowly.
> The problem is it "seems" to be slower but there is no clear indicators
> of what is slower.
>
> Thus I'm looking for some tests which can provide some objective proof
> of system
> and subsystem performance (disk, display, network, ...) which I can use
> for comparison
> and as indicator of where the problem might be.
>
> For example, I have found specialized tools such as bing for networks
> and Adaptec's disk performance tools very helpful to isolate problems.
>
> I also think others are in need of this kind of tool.
> There has been a lot of posts (and a couple of articles) wherein the
> person seemed to be
> experiencing terrible performance while others thought similar systems
> where speedy.
> Is this a difference in perception or was there a hw/config problem?
> I simple performance measure might REALLY help isolate and solve these
> problems.
>
> Thanks
> R.Parr
> Temporal Arts
>

> --
Chris Kloiber, RHCE                                  Red Hat,Inc.
Hardware Certification            aka                1801 Varsity Dr.
Enterprise Support             "WireHead"            Raleigh, NC 27606