Re: Playing Ogg files with Xmms

On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 09:21, Mikkel Riis wrote:
> man, 2002-10-14 kl. 13:40 skrev Brad Kittredge:
>

> > Don't feel so bad.  I did the same thing!  Grip want's Lame as it's
> > default encoder.
> >

> Hi Brad,
>
> Exactly! The default extension for newly encoded files is also fixed
> regardles of you choosing Lame over Oggenc. I'm not bithing over this,
> as it's RH choice to remove MP3 functionality in Psyche, it just took
> awhile for me to notice where I was going wrong.
>
> You learn as long as you live, and thank god for that.

This gave me a chance to compare the output of Lame encoded mp3's over
oggenc encoded ogg's, and the difference is amazing.  The ogg files are
way better.  I suppose it's more the quality of the encoder rather than
the quality of the format, but it's enough to convince me to re-rip my
music in ogg format (as if the encumbrances of the mp3 format aren't
problem enough).

Brad