Suboptimal packaging, was:Where is ... text editor?

On Sun, 2002-10-13 at 22:56, John BouAntoun wrote:

> I really want a light weight curses text editor like pico.
> No problem, I thought, just install the rpm.
>
> Then I went through all 3 cds and couldn't find the rpm for pico on
> any of them.

and the answer was:
[imoq@home imoq]$ rpm -q --whatprovides `which pico`
pine-4.44-13

or, in other words, that to use a light text editor one must install a
whole MUA even it will never be used, right? (For the record, I just
discovered that it is the same on RH 7.3)

I will start to work on RH 8.0 package lists for the RULE project
below soon. In this context, I'd like to know if people have already
noticed other cases like this, where a finer partitioning of apps and
libraries into more/differently structured RPMs would have helped
users who need to cut down on disk usage for whatever reason.

If you want, you can even post the rpm names to me, and I'll summarize
everything here later.

	TIA,
		Marco Fioretti

Red Hat for low memory: www.rule-project.org/en/
(temporary version, some links probably still broken/unformatted!!)