Added fonts appear in X, but not OpenOffice.org

Hi there.

I have added some .ttf fonts to my ~/.fonts directory.
All of the fonts I added show up in the gui font tool
located at Menu->Preferences->Font.  I can pick and
choose between them for desktop fonts etc.

So, I then ran OpenOffice.org's spadmin program to
install the fonts for OO.o as I've done in the past.
I navigated to the ~/.fonts directory where all the
new fonts resided and click OK.  The progress bar
seemed to indicate all were imported.

Now, when I run OO.o, not all of the fonts that I
added appear.  Some of them do, but some show up as
blank entries in the alphanumerical list.  If I select
one of these "blank" fonts, the name of the font will
appear in the drop-down box, but nothing will show on
the page if I try to type with that font.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards,
Charles