smb??

Greetings.

I'm pretty new to linux.   Did a clean install of 8 and I like it better
than 7 except for one thing: I can't get Konqueror to browse my network
using smb://machine/share.

I can go into a terminal and use smbclient //machine/share and smbmount but
why won't it work graphically?  I haven't messed with anything and it
worked fine in 7.   Perfectly willing to accept Operator Error but I
haven't done much that would cause an error.

I've been in computers since Altair and want to get linux down to free
myself from the Beast from Redmond.

Thanks,
Jeff