Network card turning off

Whats with the network card turning off?
Here is what happens, I log out of "X", exit
the user back to a log on prompt, after a
while, I notice my hub link is going the NIC.
I move the mouse or keyboard, and the NIC will
come back online.  Do I have to have a user
logged in all the time to keep the NIC online?
Or, is there a config somewhere to keep a
perm connection?

thanks