Pysche and DVD

Dear list readers -

I am interested in seeing what the general community prefers for a DVD
player. Being fairly new to DVD, i have a Sony Vaio laptop with a
DVD-ROM installed, as evidenced by the following from dmesg:

hdc: TORiSAN DVD-ROM DRD-U624, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
.. (later in dmesg, some more interesting messages)
hdc: ATAPI DVD-ROM drive, 256kB Cache
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!

Now, from the LiViD docs, which admittedly are rather weak, and the LDP
DVD-HowTo, I ran mknod and created the following devices/symlinks
/dev/raw1lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           10 Oct 11 16:07
/dev/dvd -> /dev/cdrom
crw-rw----    1 root     disk     162,   0 Aug 30 19:31 /dev/rawctl
crw-r--r--    1 root     root     162,   1 Oct 11 16:07 /dev/raw1

however i cannot get ogle, or even livid apps to work correctly as the
system doesnt recognize the dvd tracks on disk in the drive. Can anyone
give me any additional pointers? Whats everyone's favorite player? And
how does one really get these types of devices work properly?

Thanks in advance.
Michael Weiner