Re: Gnome menu edit

James Jones <jamesjones01@mchsi.com> writes:a

> Fair enough. Is there a date for when the facility will make it into
> an update?

It depends on how soon I can get it to work (I built new packages and
they don't work for some reason), and how many security errata are
clogging the QA pipeline.

> So far it seems that RedHat has tried to make 8.0 appeal to Windows
> users by removing choices and flexibility (no gnorpm, no kpackage,
> no ability to switch from one GNOME-compatible window manager to
> another using a GUI as in the past). Am I misjudging RH 8.0 in this
> respect?  (I'd like to use it on the rest of my Linux boxes, but
> this is sufficiently irritating that I am starting to think of
> switching distributions.)

gnorpm was removed because it was the biggest pile of bug reports you
have ever seen, and totally unmaintained, not for philosophical
reasons. It also required porting to new rpmlib and there was no one
to do that. I don't know about kpackage.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?component=gnorpm&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&bug_status=NEEDINFO&bug_status=MODIFIED&email1=&emailassigned_to1=1&email2=&emailreporter2=1&changedin=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&short_desc=&long_desc=&bug_file_loc=&status_whiteboard=&qa_whiteboard=&devel_whiteboard=&cmdtype=doit&namedcmd=Desktop+integration&newqueryname=&order=Bug+Number+Ascending&form_name=query

How you switch WMs is the same way you switch any other type of
application; you run the app, and you save your session. You'd switch
the panel or a starts-by-default terminal in the same way.

Remember, switching window managers breaks the UI for most users. Many
pieces of GNOME won't work anymore, the docs won't match the WM, the
keybindings will be gone. There should not be a "break my UI"
button. If you know about sessions and how to change the default apps
in them, then great, you can choose any WM (or panel or file manager)
you want.

Since you need half a clue in order to deal with a new WM, you should
need half a clue in order to switch to the new WM. It still takes only
5 seconds to switch.

Our intent is to appropriately compromise between different kinds of
users.

Havoc