Re: new sendmail configuration

On Fri Oct 11 2002 at 10:49, redhat@stata.com wrote:

> Checking the list of processes running on an RH8.0 installation, I noticed:
>
> $ ps -aufxw | grep sendmail
> root       600  0.0  0.5  5580 1488 ?        S    Oct04   0:01 sendmail: accepting connections
> smmsp      610  0.0  0.5  4856 1292 ?        S    Oct04   0:00 sendmail: Queue runner@01:00:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue

> Ultimately, my question is, "what is sm-client?"  I poked around sendmail.org
> and the release notes for RH8 and did not find anything of help.  Anyone have
> ideas/opinions/facts about this "client" and/or its purpose?

Poke around their site again and look for the release notes for
v8.12.x, and the SECURITY file in /usr/share/doc/sendmail-8.12.*/

In summary: sendmail is no longer suid root for locally generated
emails, it is group suid, with the group being smmsp.  In essence,
locally-generated mail is now treated exactly like external mail.

> Next, and perhaps a bit off topic, jim <gorean@attbi.com> posted to
> valhalla-list that he likes to start and stop services by modfiying the
> appropriate S/K prefix on the link in the rc directory, a practice that I have
> done for several years, since this allows me to do something like:
>
> # mv /etc/rc3.d/S90canna /etc/rc3.d/K90canna.i.did.this
>
> in case I ever wanted to reset my services to the default level.  Aaron
> <akonstam@trinity.edu> responded "iNo,No,No. You stop things from running by
> running chkconfig".  Directed to Aaron and others with an opinion, why use
> chkconfig (or any tool for that matter), when the other method works just as
> well?  Unless I am missing something about how RH tracks its services
> modifying the link is not going to break anything and in my opinion, it makes
> tracking changes _much_ easier.

chkconfig is one of the most useful (and essentially simply) tools
that I've every seen for controlling what services start at bootup.
It can be used in all sorts of ways (especially its output).  For
example, I use it in kickstart scripts for setting what default
services will be running.

Why track changes to this anyway?  If you wanted to do that, simply
save the date and output of "chkconfig --list" to (the end of) a
file.  The result is also MUCH easier to read and follow.

To see how cool this utility is, try some variants on these:

	chkconfig --list | grep 3:on
	chkconfig --list | grep 3:off
	chkconfig --list | grep -v 3:o

Additionally, xinetd services can be turned on and off with
chkconfig (as the last command will show).

> Thanks,
>
> Pete

Cheers
Tony